[oletrucks] have ya'll ever heard of butterfly carbs??

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] have ya'll ever heard of butterfly carbs??
From: varanus@phoenix.net
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:26:35 -0600
I think that is what this specific prototype I saw is called. I was
selling a 56 cad  a few weeks ago and a potential buyer started to
tell me about this carb design with only 1 moving part.  He said it
was designed like 10-15 years ago but the design was purchased
(stolen?) and suppressed by the petro/auto companies because
the carb increased mileage so significantly.
He had one on his schoolbus RV and "claimed" it to get well over
25 mpg when the original carb was only getting about 8mpg.
I had never seen one like that. He said he got it from the designer
and had a few of them of different sizes and that his dad was going
to try and have them made.
I know (think) there has been a lot of technology that has been
supressed to maintain the petro demand and I think all of us on
this list probably feel this is true as well. Why do we just let it
happen? It's not just for environmental concerns - it's for our
pocketbooks that we would be most interested.
Why do we feel that our government lying to us, big companies
having this control over us - is OK?  I am no chemist (or
economist)but corn ethanol has been a fuel for a century. Diesel
engines can and will run on simple vegetable oil (even used oil after
straining). The technology is out there but it is squashed if it cuts
into big profits even though farmers, for instance, would directly
benefit from some of these technologies.
I don't have all the facts. I know someone will say why corn alcohol
or vegetable oil won't work. I am not a corporation basher nor do I
want to infringe on liberty or capitalism. But jesu christo - if there's
a carb that will let my 283 get even 20mpg - I want it! If the design
is squashed - that kind of pi$$es me off.  Are we just sheep to be
shepharded?