RE: [oletrucks] Number on tranny?

To: "'pigsmith@flash.net'" <pigsmith@flash.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Number on tranny?
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:06:22 -0600
The 288, 316, 347 and 336 all looked the same and mounted the same.
All external engine dimensions are the same.  Actually, Pontiac
continued to make this engine until 1963 as a 370" (1958) and
389" (59-63).  In 63 they redesigned the heads, water pump and
motor mounting areas of the engine, so these later engines would
require non-stock motor mounts (at least) to go into the truck.
The size of the engine can be determined from the engine number.
It is found on the passenger's side of the block, just forward
of the coolant drain cock.  Mine starts with "A347".

The beds on the 1 ton pickups were exactly the same as those
on the 1/2 and 3/4 ton models.  I don't think the stock rear
fenders on these beds would not be wide enough for dually rear
axles.  The stock rear axle did NOT have dual rear wheels.

The Master Parts Manuals are hard to come buy.  That on-line
auction service that we oletruckers are not supposed to mention
is where I found mine.  It took months of waiting for one to
be listed and then the selling price was around $50 including
shipping.