RE: [oletrucks] VIN number question

To: STELLMAN@noex.com
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] VIN number question
From: "Jeff B" <jeffreymb@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 21:27:17
I'm in Southern California and in California nothing is as simple as is
should be (most of the time).

I was first told that all I had to do was have the DMV (Dept. of Motor
Vehicles) make the change for me.  When I went to do that, they then told me
I had to take the truck to the CHP (Calif. Highway Patrol) for them to
inspect it and determine the true VIN.  I did that and came away with
nothing.  The officer checked all over the truck and couldn't say for sure
whether the number on the VIN plate was the actual number.  He said he'd do
some research and get back to me.  That was several months ago and they
never got back to me.  I called them again just recently after I realized we
had not received a renewal for the registration.  Now the officer is telling
me that before 1954, they sometimes used the engine numbers for the VINs,
which I guess means there is still some question as to what my truck's VIN
really is.   What a pain.

Jeff

'54 3100