Re: [oletrucks] 350th or 700R4 in a TF?

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 350th or 700R4 in a TF?
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 08:39:44 -0700
Ed--

If you have the original rearend in the truck, I'd
suggest you go with the 700.  However, a $300
rebuild on a 700 may not last too long...so if you
go that route, be gentle on it!  From what I've
seen, the rebuilt 700s that cost $1200 seem to last
pretty well behind hot rodded V-8s.

The driveshaft will have to be shortened (assumign
you had a 3 speed in the truck before), and you'll
need the fine spline yoke for it.  If you had the 4
speed truck tranny, then you'll need a new
driveshaft, or at least have it shortened and a
different weld yoke and spline yoke installed.

You'll need a tranny cooler.  You'll need a
shifter.  You'll need the correct detent/TV cable,
with the correct bracket and fittings at the
carburetor end.  The tubular tranny crossmember
should work fine, make sure to get one that will put
the back of the tranny at the correct height...you
want the engine/tranny sitting at a 4 degree angle
relative to the truck's frame, the easy way to tell
is if the tranny pan is parallel to the frame,
because it's at the correct 4 degree angle.

If you want to be able to remove the tranny from
under the truck, you'll probably want to get rid of
the crossmember that goes under the
bellhousing...although it does add strength to the
frame.  You will also want to get rid of the front
engine mounts, and go to a tubular crossmember to
mount the engine, using side mounts (using the motor
mount pads for a 60s vintage passenger car, specific
part number recommended by the tubular crossmember
manufacturer).

Be sure to get your exhuast manifolds or headers in
place BEFORE you do the final welding on the
crossmembers...make sure everything fits right!  The
engine/tranny need to be straight in the frame, side
to side, although they do not need to be centered.

This ought to get you started!

Jim F
59s in AZ