[oletrucks] Re: [old-chevy-truck] How Much to redo 50 Chevy Truck Seats?

To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: [old-chevy-truck] How Much to redo 50 Chevy Truck Seats?
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:40:48 -0800
    All,

    What is the going rate for material and labor to redo an 1950 AD seat
bottom and back?

    Hi Gary, $150 is on the high side of the range of reasonable prices.  I
recently installed seat covers and new pads on my 72 VW bus (2 bucket seats)
and it wasn't all that hard.  I followed the how to at this link:
http://www.type2.com/index.html

    The site it comes from, Type2.com  http://www.type2.com/index.html is
dedicated to VW Bus restoration.  It is one of the best restoration sites I
have ever seen  Well organized and full of great how-to articles.  Worth a
look.

    One thing that made the upholstery job much easier, was a set of safety
wire pliers.  If the seat cover has a metal rod in the bottom (I used 1/8 in
gas welding rod--worked great) you can loop a piece of safety wire around the
rod and use it both to pull the seat cover taut and attach it to the seat
frame in one motion with a twist of the safety pliers.  I bought my safety
wire pliers at harbor freight for less than $20.  I use them a lot now.

    Regards,

    Grant S.

    Ole Chevy and GMC trucks rule!