Re: [oletrucks] Am I going mad? (Also IFS for Bill)

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Am I going mad? (Also IFS for Bill)
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 18:36:41 -0700
> Probably. I'm about to take out the front suspension ready for my Jag clip
> and I'm trying to measure where the front wheels need to go when I weld the
> clip in. I measure directly back from the front chassis rails and one of the
> wheels is about an inch further back than the other. I've measured across
> the chassis and the thing is square so I can only assume that the front axle
> is scewed across the chassis.
>
> It's down to rails and suspension so I can't measure from the firewall so
> does anyone have a point of reference and a measurement so I know where to
> fit the Jag clip?
>
> Cheers
> Stu

Stu--

You might want to put the Jag suspension in so the
wheels "look right" in the fenders.  I tested the
wheel position on my 57 Suburban subframe project,
by putting the front of the body on the
frame...fenders, radiator support, inner fenders,
etc.   If you take the suspension out, you can put
the wheels/tires in position, and move them around
until you're happy with the appearance (spend some
time looking at it from different angles, etc).
Have the frame sitting at final ride height, front
and back. The TF trucks seem to want to have the
wheels moved forward a ways when they are lowered
quite a bit, it's an optical illusion thing caused
by the shape of the wheel openeing in the fender.

Jim  F
59s in AZ