Re: [oletrucks] 1957 rear end (I think I'm supposed to say

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1957 rear end (I think I'm supposed to say
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 09:01:25 -0700
Bill--

Hi...I think the swap you are thinking of uses the
55 FIRST series rearend, into an older AD truck
(47-54).  This would give it an open driveline, and
be a bolt in swap.

Converting your 40 to open driveline may be a little
more complicated...but if you want to turn it into a
half ton truck, with 5.5" bolt pattern 6 lug wheels,
then the 57 half ton rearend would probably work
ok.  You will probably have to do some work on the
spring perches...like cut them off and reinstall
them in the correct place.  This involves figuring
out the driveline angle, and the wheel position in
the fender, both of which can take some careful
planning.  The 57 rearend is originally set up to be
under the leaf springs, look under your truck and
see if the rearend is over or under the springs.
Before you get too far along, you might want to
measure the width of the bed of your truck,
specifically the area where the tires fit, and make
sure that the rearend you are planning on buying
will be the correct width to put the tires inside
the fenders, but not hitting the bedsides.

You'll have more questions...don't hesitate to ask!

Jim F
59s in az