RE: [oletrucks] 12v starter

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 12v starter
From: "Rob Steinmetz" <rstein@sssnet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 19:10:49 -0500
        The problem with putting a 12V starter with a 6V flywheel is that the
ring
gear tooth count is different.  I believe the tooth count for a 6V system is
139, and a 12V ring gear is 168 teeth.  The bendix won't mesh.  One could
convert the bendix from a newer to an older starter, or transfer the old
bendix to a newer starter.  The best way is to replace the ring gear itself
on the original flywheel with a newer ring gear with the right tooth count.
        I believe the 292 ring gear will fit the older flywheels without
modification.  My measurements of a 6V flywheel from a GMC show a ring gear
mounting diameter of 13.049".  The ring gear mounting diameter for a 12V
ring gear (such as the 292 Chevy) is roughly 13.228".  With my measurement
method in doubt, the two dimensions are close enough to give it a try.
Don't bother trying to swith your 228 to a newer flywheel that is already
set up for 12 volts.  There was never a 12V setup with the right crank
mounting colt configuration.  Your engine has four crank bolts, and all the
newer engines have 6 mounting bolts.
        That's my long-winded answer.  The short version is as follows...just
keep
the starter you have until it burns out, then get it rebuilt and start over
(no pun intended.)