[oletrucks] OFF TOPIC S-10 Speedometer Repair

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] OFF TOPIC S-10 Speedometer Repair
From: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:35:57 -0600
Anyone got a solution to seedometer repair for a Chevy S-10 pickup?  My
daughters speedometer is sometimes making a lot of noise and not working
right recently.  Sometimes it works fine.  Apparently Chevy no longer makes
replacement speedometers for this model (1988) and they estimate $175-200
for a replace instrument cluster with a rebuilt speedometer.  Ouch!  That
seems a little high for something as simple as a speedometer.

Does anyone have a source for new replacement or rebuilt speedometers?

Some previous posting on this subject seemed to indicate the cable as
probably being the problem, but I checked that.  Following the instructions
in the Haynes Shop Manual I disconnected the speedometer and examined both
ends of the cable for possible damage.  Also I traced the cable to look for
kinks.  No problems were found.  I next attached my drill to the cable
(transmission end) and ran it on high with no problems noted.  The cable
did not hitch, catch, or rattle.  I could not attach the drill to the end
of the speedometer but did spin the end by hand and could hear some rattle
in the mechanism.  In other words, it seems like the problem is the
speedometer not the cable.

Call me cheap, but I would like to spend something less than $175-200 for a
replacement.  Thanks in ADvance for any help.

Bob Keeland
51 3600 5-window (project)
88 S-10 (daughters)
98 RAM (hers)