[oletrucks] Stop light wiring

To: "OleTrucks List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Stop light wiring
From: 50chevy@iwon.com
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 22:54:37 -0500
All,

Thanks for the replies on my wiring question.  Here is some additional info
to clarify:

Chevrolet Shop Manual shows the headlight switch with a terminal for stoplamps.
Chevy Duty wiring harness has a wire which hooks to this terminal (as orginal
did) and goes to fuse box. From fuse box, it goes to stop light switch.
(Brake light previously worked, so I'm assuming stop light switch is still
good.) I attached the stop light wire to the battery terminal on the headlight
switch with no luck, but now believe the problem lies with the turn signal
unit.  The turn signals did not work when I bought the truck a few months
ago.

The unit is a Signal-Stat 902 Sigflare.  The turn signal wiring harness
only has 4 wires. 2 (blue & yellow) are wired into the flasher base. The
other 2 (red and green) are left and right turn signal indicators. I
successfully
wired the front & rear wires from the new harness into the red and green
wires gave me working turn signals.  However there is no wire in the turn
signal unit to send to the stop lamp switch on the firewall.  The signal
unit looks original (read: old) and the wires coming out of the unit are
wrapped with electrical tape and don't appear to have been tampered with.

Any ideas on what to try now?

Thanks,

Ray
'50 3100

PS - Thanks to Jim H. for the great color wiring diagram. (It also shows
the stop lamp terminal on the headlight switch.)

--
iWon <http://www.iwon.com/> - Voted the #1 portal on the Web!