Re: [oletrucks] Going in the shop, finally

To: "OLETRUCK list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Going in the shop, finally
From: "Boteler Family" <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 23:18:17 -0400
Hey Bill, have you considered buying a better cab?  I bought a Midwest '57
cab to put on my wrecker that only needs about 2" at the rear corners and
the steps replaced because they are very dented.  I don't have to do any
High work around the windows and I only paid $500.00 (Truck Carlisle 1999).

I did the following to my son's '56 cab which was rusty on the bottom half :
complete inner and outer cab rear corners, complete rocker/step/riser on
both sides, both lower hinge pockets (requires lots of custom patch work).
The patch panels alone cost almost $500.00.  That will only leave you with
about $1,000.00 (33.3 hours) for the labor.  This isn't much time.  I think
you will be lucky to get the bottom half done for that.  The top half will
take even longer because it's ALL custom.  The reason yours is so rusty up
high is because the roof seams leak.  You will need to fix that also.
Remember the patches will be twice as big as what you can see now, the metal
is very thin around all of those rust holes.

$1500.00 should buy you a perfect cab....I would think!  My 2 cents!

Mike Boteler
'56 8400 Wrecker
Hughesville, Maryland