Re: [oletrucks] '51 1 ton rear end -- tire/wheel size

To: "OLETRUCK list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '51 1 ton rear end -- tire/wheel size
From: "Boteler Family" <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 23:16:04 -0400
Hi Justin,

A Brownie Box is an auxiliary transmission normally found on BIG rigs.  They
can be either underdrive, overdrive or a combination of both and have many
different gear ratios.  They can be 2, 3 or 4 speed.  I'm not sure but I
believe Brownie is/was a manufacture and now the name is used loosely to
cover all auxiliary units no matter who made them.

The xx.5" rims are all tubeless and where introduced in 1956, before that
they were tube type with multi-piece rims.  Yes, the measurement is taken at
the bead.

What transmission do you have (3 or 4 speed)?  Others on the list might be
of more help with adapting your transmission to OD than I.

Happy Motoring!

Mike Boteler
'56 8400 Wrecker
Hughesville, Maryland