Re: [oletrucks] IFS ads

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] IFS ads
From: "Randall J. Krebs" <lawgod@offshore-tax.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 14:44:54 -0400
Dave,

I am in the process of using a Gibbon's (308) 468-5356 kit to install the
Cordoba, etc. Torsion bar front end into my 58 Chevy.  You can adjust the
height of the front of the vehicle by adjusting 2 bolts, neat. I selected
the kit since it is bolt in, the only welding is to weld in torsion bar
sockets into the rear crossmember and that you can do out of the truck, so
you can take it to a friend with a welder - a simple 10 minute job.  The way
I weld if I got one of the other weld in kits I would be more concerned
about the front end falling off than all this discussion about C clips and
axles.

The fun that I am experiencing now is the installation of the motor mounts,
the typical tube universal motor mount may not fit, but Gibbons sells motor
and trans. mounts - however these are a weld in.  PAW sells some other bolt
in mounts that may work.

Suggest that you don't just go to the wrecker and pick up the donor car
parts listed in the instructions.  Get the whole car since you will need the
brackets, etc. and will be able to use, if you wish, power steering pump,
the wheels, master cylinder/booster/peddle, brake residual & proportioning
valves (your old ones will not work since you now have discs), the rearend,
etc.  If you get a donor with an 8 3/4 inch rear you are golden since from
all accounts these are "impossible" to break. Otherwise you can go with the
Ford 9 inch and have same bolt pattern. The original TF rear appears to be
57-58 inches from backing plate to backing plate.  I am learning the hard
way since I just got the stuff off the list and now am getting beat up on
all the other stuff.

Since the Chrysler and Ford share the 5 bolt wheel pattern you can use some
of the Ford mags.  Take a look around - it seems like Ford has more cool
looking factory mags than the Chevy products (I'm sure I'll get flak over
that comment).

Randy
58 Chev
32 Ford 5 window