RE: [oletrucks] Paint gun

To: "Ronald I. Givens" <givens@hal-pc.org>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Paint gun
From: "haist" <haist2@home.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:11:59 -0700
Paint guns are no different than many other tools in that there is a broad
range in price and quality.  Most pros will probably agree the top of the
line is the SATA, made in Germany and sells for about $500 a copy.  One the
other end of the scale is what they sell at Harbor Freight for $49.95.  An
inexperienced probably couldn't tell the difference.  I agree with Ryan
Border in suggesting you start out with the cheapie to learn on.

Also, as Ryan suggested, get the HVLP, gravity feed.  It's just a question
of time before all others are legislated into obsolescence.  I live in a
very restrictive air quality control area where HVLP is all that's allowed.

Fluid tip and needle size is a variable.  I use a 1.4mm in a BINKS M1-G and
that is considered a good universal size if you're only going to use one
gun.  Pros will have several guns; for high solid primers, base coats, clear
and blending agents.

Don't forget that positive pressure respirator!

<><
Whitney Haist
Orinda, CA
Chevy trucks: 2-'46s & a '39