[oletrucks] Air conditioning (could be for any vehicle)

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Air conditioning (could be for any vehicle)
From: "Claude" <cramey@dashlink.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:47:27 -0500
This post is not specific to old trucks but I need some AC advice.

Any AC experts hear? I have an '85 Chevy with a 350. The AC has lost its
charge, possibly leaking hoses. Since the compressor has been leaking oil
and making noises anyway, I thought it was a good time to repair the whole
system and convert to R134a. I have a rebuilt compressor, new accumulator
and an orifice tube. I have flushed the system and replaced the oil in the
new compressor with R134a compatible oil (this is all on the advise of other
people and the parts store). Now I need new hoses because the old ones look
real bad and I have seen it leaking where the rubber is clamped/crimped to
the aluminium tube. The parts store wants $90 for a new assembly. One of the
local AC shops said he would repair them. Well, I don't want to say how much
he charged to put new hose on the assembly with HOSE CLAMPS. He said thats
the way he does all these types. He is well known for good work and has been
in the radiator AC business (same guy, Jesse) as long as I can remember,
more than 30 years. But these hose clamp things bother me. He showed me how
they were made to be used with a clamp and told me the factory "crimp" was
really just a clamp.
Any opinions on this? After paying him quite a bit, I don't want to go to
the parts store and pay $90 more because it looks better.

Claude
1959 Apache Fleetside
1985 Chevy SWB
http://www.dashlink.com/~rameyfam