[oletrucks] speedometer

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] speedometer
From: "Jim Nordwall" <jnord@fgi.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 16:33:14 -0500
The speedometer in my 50 3100 was trash. Since my donor car is a 74
Firebird, I removed the speedometer from it and compared it to the original
50 speedometer. They look pretty close.  The needle for the 50 speedometer
is pressed onto the shaft and was easy to remove with a little gentle
pulling.  The needle for the Firebird is also pressed on and came off with a
gentle pull.  The Firebird speedometer mechanism fits into the 50 housing
and even uses the original mounting holes.  The 50 faceplate fits the
Firebird mechanism also. The needles will not interchange, so I used the
Firebird needle. It is white and looks close enough to the original that I
found it acceptable.  Since I put a 350/350 combo into my truck, the
latemodel speedometer cable was already in place, so it obviously fit.  I
think the orginal speedometer cable has a larger head ( mine was missing
when I got the truck) and will work on the Firebird speedometer.  I would
guess that a Camero speedometer will also work since the cars were pretty
much the same. I also had removed a 79 Chevy C10 truck dash to get the oil
pressure, temperature, and gas gauge. That speedometer mechanism is
different and will not interchange with the 50. Hope this is usefull to
someone.

Jim Nordwall
Jacksonville, Il
50 3100