Re: [oletrucks] Weatherstrip retainer to door

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Weatherstrip retainer to door
From: Stkcode <stkcode@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 10:27:39 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Greg,

This sounds a bit crazy but I planned on using the
curton rods that are used in bathrooms and kitchens.
They have the same overall c-type shape but I think
they are a bit bigger than the original c-channel
thou.  They would require some bending to conform
around the upper half of the the door where it curves.
 Trying to keep it from kinking is going to be fun but
I plan on doing it simular to the factory manual with
a 3 piece setup (two strips on the sides and on the
top).  Looking at just riveting the whole thing in,
placing a hole in the rod  and cab about every 2 or 3
inches apart.  The hardware sells fairly small rivets
so getting them seems easy.  Plus, an industrial grade
rivet gun is not required...the rod might require a
little trimming to make the c-shape a little smaller
but their real easy to bend so I don't think this is
going to be a real problem.  I haven't gotten that far
on my truck yet, when I get their I fill you in on how
it turns out.  Oh, by the way, mine where removed
cause the previous owner put in a new drivetrain.
Since the driver's side exhaust manifold did not clear
the steering box, rather than cut the firewall and
move the box over 1/2" or so, they bend the cab over.
They bolted the driver's side inner fender to the
frame.  The cab wouldn't bend that easily so I suspect
they removed the c-channel in order to weaken the cab.
 In the process they drilled out multiple welds and
their are a lot of broken welds now. As to why anyone
would want to do this, haven't got a clue.  Possibly,
just ignorance or sheer stupidity...also, a these
trucks where mostly farm trucks.  So repairs where
"just enough to get it working" and not exactly done
correctly....thats why theirs seems to be so many
"butchered cabs" out their...

If you go the route with the curton rods, please let
me know how it turns out....I wont be getting their
for quite some time...

Jon
Mod 53 3100
stkcode@yahoo.com