[oletrucks] 216 Compression

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 216 Compression
From: Barrett Revis <snappydog@jackass.net>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 21:08:47 -0700
Beautiful spring day and all, I thought I'd tune up the old beast
('53 panel w/ 216 babbit beater).  The shop manual says to do a
compression test first.

Okay.

I warmed up the engine, pulled all the plugs, opened up the throttle
all the way, and dry tested each of the cylinders.
I then one-at-a-time squirted 10cc of motor oil into and re-tested
each of the cylinders.

The results are as follows:

Cyl:    Dry:    Wet:
-----------------------
#1              100     100
#2              100     120
#3              55              65
#4              75              80
#5              100     120
#6              75              85

(ominous music plays here)
Doesn't look very promising to me.

The shop manual merely says:
"Compression on all cylinders should be 110 pounds or better and all
cylinders should read alike within 5 to 10 pounds for satisfactory
engine performance."

Can anyone offer any special insight on what these readings mean, or
advice on what I should do to correct this situation?

Barrett Revis
Sparks, NV

'53 3105
'48 3105