[oletrucks] Wiring tail lights for turn signals

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Wiring tail lights for turn signals
From: Barrett Revis <snappydog@jackass.net>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 10:40:05 -0700
Charles,

Yes, you'll want a two wire socket, but not necessarily like the ones
they sell to convert the parking lights.

I paid $50 for those parking light conversion sockets from Brothers.
The sockets they sent me would have required me to cut 1 inch holes
in the back of my parking light assemblies to install them!  The
picture in their catalog showed sockets that looked like the
originals.  I called them up and asked about it, I thought they might
have sent me the wrong part by mistake.  They said that the picture
in the catalog was "a couple of years out of date", but it was their
current catalog.  The sockets they sent me are readily available at
auto parts stores for under $10 a pair.

I ordered the parking light conversion sockets from another vendor
and got the same thing as I got from Brothers.

You could use one of these sockets, but if you are going to have to
kludge something together, I'd check the flaps or junkyard for a
socket that would require less modification or cutting.

Are you going to use another original panel truck taillight assembly
on the right door?  If so, it should have a two wire socket already
in it.
As an alternative, stop / turn signal lights can be placed on the
valance between the body and rear bumpers.  If they are placed
correctly near the sides, the doors will clear them (check it out).

If you would like the lights a little higher, you might consider a
pair of those streamlined metal teardrop cab lights that were popular
on the big rigs before they started making all the lights out of
plastic.  I used a pair of those that had two wire sockets and red
glass lenses and placed them on the sides of my panel in the location
that the dealer option signal lights went.

Of course you could use the dealer option signal kit lights.  They're
the bullet shaped lights originally used on 1939 Chevy passenger car,
and were mounted up near the beltline.  Good luck trying to find
some, and if you do, be prepared to pay some $$$.

Barrett Revis
Sparks, NV

'53 3105
'48 3105