Re: [oletrucks] Prep for Painting

To: "Rick Petty" <my49@usa.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Prep for Painting
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 19:19:22 -0700
I'll take a stab at this without seeing the parts.

I'd start on the smaller parts like the running board, fenders, tailgate
etc.,  Concentrate on one part at a time and when it's primered and sanded
at least once with a guide coat then I'd hang it up or in a safe place and
start on the next piece.  I've found that if you get one part done at a time
you can look back and see progress rather than seeing work done here and
their and nothing really looking done.

I've bought my share of trucks from people who have blown their truck apart,
ordering all sort of parts, worked a little here and their but never really
getting anything finished so they just gave up.

I always hesitate to recommend sand blasting to anyone because to much
pressure and concentrate on one area to long will warp the metal.  If your
experienced at sand blasting then by all means this would be the most
effective method of removing the rust and old paint in all those hard to
reach area's.

If I'm working on a vehicle which shows light surface rust and has one or
two coats of paint I go for the orbital sander with either 120 or 220
depending on the surface.  I guess what sander you chose will depend on the
rpm's it rotates and it's ability to remove the paint without clogging the
pad.

I would be the last one to laugh at  someone who's asking for advice on
something they may never have tried.  No matter how much I think I know,
this list always teaches me something new everyday!

Good luck with you project!