[oletrucks] 41 GMC 3/4 ton Wireing, and Engine replacement

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 41 GMC 3/4 ton Wireing, and Engine replacement
From: "The Slesaks" <foghorn@ev1.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 22:40:48 -0500
Hi folks,
When I bought my 3/4 ton GMC, it came with a 327 Chevy and a three speed
manual trans installed.  The PO had done some questionable engineering, and
the wiring is in serious need of replacement.  I'd like some of your ideas
on the best way to approach this task.  Should I use one of the replacement
wiring harness kits made for the Art Deco pickup that most of the specialty
parts houses sell?  Or should I go with one of the after market systems like
the ones from Painless Performance Products which is designed more for
street rod applications.  I'm not worried about originality at all, rather
safety, and reliability, and ease of installation.  The truck has an
electric cooling fan, and fuel pump, and I may at some point want to add
some other goodies like a stereo system, air conditioning, and power
windows.  I'm leaning more toward the after market system because of the
fact that it offers more flexibility to expand and add more circuits later,
but if the basic system is a whole lot easier to install, and will serve my
basic needs for the immediate future, I may go that route.  The fact that
basic harness is about two hundred bucks cheaper than the after market
system gets my attention as well.

On another subject, as I said, when the PO installed the V8 in the truck, he
did whatever it took to get it in, and his engineering left some things to
be desired.  I'm thinking that I might eventually like to take out the 327,
and replace it with an inline six of some sort.  Again, I don't necessarily
want an original 228, but probably a much later engine that has similar
outside dimensions.  I am looking for reliability, and at the same time I'd
like to put in something that at least gives an appearance of what might
have come with the truck.  Whatever engine I do choose, will have to be
compatible with an automatic transmission.  I am building this truck so that
my wife can drive it as well as me, and she has a physical handicap that
prevents her from operating a clutch.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to an engine and transmission
combo that you think might fit my specks.

Regards,
Tim Slesak
41 GMC 3/4 ton