Re: [oletrucks] Grille on '50 - front main seals

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Grille on '50 - front main seals
From: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 08:46:29 -0500
Having just gone through this recently I can definitely say that there is
most definitely a main seal on the front of a 216.  If your motor is
leaking in that area there are several places from which the oil may be
escaping.  (1) The pan gasket, (2) the front main seal (after you pull the
harmonic balancer check to see if the shaft on the back side is grooved
from the seal rubbing on it for so long.  It may need to be sleeved), (3)
the front motor mount seal, or (4) the timing gear cover seal.  To replace
all of these gaskets you have to remove the camshaft to remove the front
motor mount.  Check out the stovebolt homepage for (somewhat incomplete)
directions.

BobK
51 3600 5-window (project)
89 F150
98 RAM (hers)
99 HD Sportster
Arnaudville, LA

                    Pastorjon994@cs.com

                    Sent by:                    To:
oletrucks@autox.team.net
                    owner-oletrucks@auto        cc:

                    x.team.net                  Subject:     [oletrucks] Grille
on '50

                    05/08/01 10:41 PM

                    Please respond to

                    Pastorjon994

Is the grille on my stock '50 supposed to be chrome or stainless?

What would you all recommend for repairing rusted thru portions of my
running
boards?  The rusted areas are right where you step to get into the cab.  I
would like to maintain the grooves without filling them in.  Any ideas?
Could a fella braise and grind down?

Is there a front main seal on a 216?  I have a small drip in the very
front.
Not sure yet if it is just oil pan gasket or if it could be front main.

Has anyone done anything with the engine vent tube to keep drops of oil
from
coming out of it?  I don't have hardly any, but don't want even a little.
recall hearing something about a pcv valve, but can't remember if it was
something for this engine or not.

Tom, I inadvertently deleted your post this morning about sanding, buffing
stainless steel, could you please repost that?  Thanks.
Jon Callahan
'50 3100
Champaign/Urbana, IL