Re: [oletrucks] Project Book (long)

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Project Book (long)
From: NTemple46@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:18:09 EDT
I keep an excel spreadsheet with various columns (Truck and parts, tools,
insurance, misc, and the scary one "Grand Total").  As scary as it can be to
look at the dollar values added up, it has served well to bring me back to
reality and remind me that I plan on driving and using my truck when it is
all done.  I use the numbers to see where I am at, what the final outcome is
worth to me, and then I weigh each purchase or modification, cost versus
impact on my completed product and goal for the truck.

I have to admit that I have recently upped my total cost, again, as well as
completion date.

As far as putting in the thousands of hours rather than buying a completed
rod I have a couple of reasons....I stopped counting the hours shortly after
starting my frame off restoration because I found it didn't really matter to
me.  I could sit on my back blasting the bottom side of my frame rails for
hours and be frustrated that the day wasn't longer so I could work some more.
 I am sure that I have an insane amount of hours in my project considering I
have yet to touch the body, but I still anticipate the next chance I will get
to wrench on my truck like a little kid.  This is my first experience with
automotive work, something that I have always wanted to do.  The frame off
helps me learn about each part, and when I look back at what I have
completed, I can truly say that I did it myself and I have a great pride for
my workmanship.  I will be able to say it is my truck and mean it in every
way.

Lastly, the personal note.  Ever since I first rode in, and then bought my
truck the smell, sound, and feel has reminded me of sitting with my grandpa
in his old Chevy truck hauling steers to the auction in Illinois, and riding
on the tractors planting and harvesting with my uncle.  I am only 25, but
those memories have been some my fondest ever.  I always lived far away from
my grandpa and my uncle but loved every minute I got to ride in their trucks,
or help them with the farmwork.  I still seldom get the chance to see my
grandfather and my uncle has recently passed away.  Working on my truck makes
me feel the same way I felt when I was with them.  It gives me a chance to
relive that memory.  I wouldn't trade that time to reflect for anything.  I
only wish my uncle could have seen it when I'm done.

Neil
46 2-ton Worth every minute and penny invested.