[oletrucks] Chevy 305 engine

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Chevy 305 engine
From: Mark Mintmier <tenisguy@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 21:14:20 -0400
I've been lurking on the list for several years now, and I'm finally
getting to the point where I'm ready to start taking care of some of the
"big" things on my truck (IFS, rearend, engine, etc.).  I just purchased
a 1983 Camaro for parts, and I'm interested in opinions from the list.
I was told when I bought it that the car had a 350 engine and a 700R
transmission.  After doing some further checking, it seems more likely
to me that the car has a 305 engine.  I'm happy with the transmission,
but my first question for the group is how can I tell the difference
between the 305 and the 350?  If it is indeed a 305, is this still a
good engine for an Advance Design truck?  I suppose the engine could
have been changed somewhere along the way, but if it is a 305, is there
any major reason why I shouldn't consider it for my '50?

Thanks,
Mark Mintmier
1950 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy 3100