Re: [oletrucks] Chevy 305 engine x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Chevy 305 engine x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Stkcode <stkcode@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:05:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Mark,

Their nothing wrong with the 305 motor....it's a good
engine.  Personally, I always preferred a 350 motor
displaced to a 383 stroker which is what I'm doing to
mine.  Funny you mention that that you where told it
was a 350 thou.  When I bought my motor I was told it
was a 400.  After I brought it home, I checked the
block number and it turns out to be a 350.  All the
better, since a 350 is really what I wanted in the
first place, just couldn't find one in my
area...looked to several weeks at the bone yards.
Most 350's where trashed.  If you give that motor a
shot and your not really happy with it...when it comes
time to rebuilding it, you could always have it
displaced or beef it up some.  Watch out on that
trany.  The TH700 R4 tranny is great but their are
some problems with the earlier year models.  I'll see
if I can find it but a while back their was an article
in one of my truck mags that said that the earlier
TH700s had some sort of problem with them.  I really
dont recall what at the moment.  By the way, does your
TH700 have overdrive?

Jon
Mod 53 3100 Deluxe

--- Mark Mintmier <tenisguy@gte.net> wrote:
> I've been lurking on the list for several years now,
> and I'm finally
> getting to the point where I'm ready to start taking
> care of some of the
> "big" things on my truck (IFS, rearend, engine,
> etc.).  I just purchased
> a 1983 Camaro for parts, and I'm interested in
> opinions from the list.
> I was told when I bought it that the car had a 350
> engine and a 700R
> transmission.  After doing some further checking, it
> seems more likely
> to me that the car has a 305 engine.  I'm happy with
> the transmission,
> but my first question for the group is how can I
> tell the difference
> between the 305 and the 350?  If it is indeed a 305,
> is this still a
> good engine for an Advance Design truck?  I suppose
> the engine could
> have been changed somewhere along the way, but if it
> is a 305, is there
> any major reason why I shouldn't consider it for my
> '50?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Mintmier
> 1950 Chevy 3100
> 1952 Chevy 3100
> Johnstown, PA
> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959

=====
Jon
stkcode@yahoo.com