Re: [oletrucks] model numbers

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] model numbers
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 11:34:46 -0700
> Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 23:13:25 EDT
> From: BerOPFL@aol.com
> Subject: [oletrucks] model numbers
>
> I'm new to this and reading various model numbers for early 50's trucks.
> What do they mean?  A 3105 must be a panel?  A 3104 (what I have) is a 1/2
> ton?  Does that also designate 5-window (what I have)?  Does it designate
> engine size?  Any clarification will be much appreciated.  Thanks.

The model number does not tell anything about engine size.  It tells
about weight classification, and body style.  3000 series is a light
duty truck, 4000 is medium, 5000-8000 is heavy duty.  3100 is short
wheelbase, 3200 is long wheelbase 1/2 ton, 3600 is 3/4 ton, 3800 is 1
ton.

XX04 is a stepside pickup, XX34 is a fleetside pickup (1958/59 only),
XX45 is a step van, XX05 is a panel truck, XX06 is a Suburban with panel
type doors, XX16 is a Suburban with a tailgate, XX03 is a chassis/cab
(no bed), XX02 is a flat face cowl (just the front end of the truck, no
cab or bed), XX12 is a windshield cowl (missing roof and cab), XX09 is a
stake bed, XX42 is a forward control.  Adding 50 to the model number
makes it a 4 wheel drive (57-59 only; does not apply to Napco trucks).

This is probably more clarification than you wanted   :)  it comes from
a neat table in the Chevy 1959 Truck Specifications, available from
Chevy (for your year truck) for free by calling 1-800-222-1020.  It's
been a few years since I got this, so I don't guarantee availability.

Also, the model numbers changed over the years, so this may not apply to
early 50s trucks the same as it does to late 50s trucks.

Jim F
59s in AZ
working on assembling the 454 for my 57 Suburban!