[oletrucks] Engine & Drivetrain Removal

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, tenisguy@gte.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Engine & Drivetrain Removal
From: Mark Mintmier <tenisguy@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 20:32:51 -0400
I finally got the cab removed from the frame of my 1950 pickup over the
4th of July holiday.  Not only did it take me longer than I expected to
get it ready to lift off, but it seemed a lot more difficult (i.e.
HEAVY) than I thought a lot of you had made it sound in the past, even
with the doors, seat, and everything else that could be removed taken
out.  Anyway, I'm ready for the next phase, and could use some advice
from those who know since the shop manual is so pitiful in some areas.
I'm going to have a professional welder weld in a Heidt's IFS and a 1979
Trans Am rearend on monoleaf springs, and I'm sure I'll have a question
or two at that point.  My question now is what is the best way to remove
the engine and the rearend/driveshaft?  I have a 1-ton engine lifter,
but I didn't know if I should try to lift the engine by the two head
bolts like the shop manual shows, or if  I should just throw a chain
around it, or if there is a better way.  I'll be removing the engine and
transmission as a unit.  Any detailed advice would be great!  Also, does
the driveshaft just pull out from the back of the transmission?  As you
all know, since it has a closed driveshaft, the driveshaft and the
rearend seem to be one unit.  When I lift the transmission (and engine)
out, will it just pull off from the driveshaft, or do I have to do any
unbolting first?  Sorry for what many may consider basic questions, but
I'm pretty much just figuring this out as I go and can use all the help
I can get.  Thanks for your help.

Mark Mintmier
1950 3100
1952 3100 parts truck