Re: [oletrucks] PACER = Gremlin? NO WAY are they similar!

To: truxrme@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] PACER = Gremlin? NO WAY are they similar!
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:24:05 EDT
    As an AMC "expert" ( I own over 13 AMC cars currently, if that makes me
an "expert", including SEVEN Gremlins AND a Pacer wagon... :)  ), the Pacer
has a unique suspension all it's own. It is NOT interchangeable with any
other AMC product other than another Pacer. The Gremlin has a rather
old-fashioned setup similar to the Mopar with a bar-type lower control arm
rather than an A-arm, while the Pacer has a more conventional A-arm
suspension with rack-and-pinion steering unit borrowed from GM but with some
unique mods to fit the Pacer, and the whole front I-beam and suspension is
removable as a complete unit, unlike the Gremlin, which is why old truck
customizers like it.  Unfortunately, the Pacers and Gremlins are being
crushed at an alarming rate, as they're not surviving long in the boneyards,
at least in the high-tech yards of Virginia, although some survive in the
outlying country yards still around.  Hope that answers your questions,
Shawn.....by the way, did you FIND a Gremlin and hoped to use the suspension?
Maybe I could take it off the owners hands....LOL! I'll be happy to send
along any info to my AMC lists, if you old truckers will kindly supply me
with any info you find out on your local AMC / Nash / Hudson finds . Here's a
couple of hot AMCs to look for, as long as I'm on the subject :

'68-70 AMX ( shorty sporty 2-seater )
'68-70 Javelin ( I prefer the '70 myself )
'70 Rebel Machine ( hood tach, some had wild red/white/blue paint jobs )
'69 SC/Rambler ( another wildly patrioticly painted AMC car )w/390 V-8 engine
Any Gremlin with a V-8
Randall's Gremlin with 401 v-8 ( XR model )( unsure of years available)
Randall's CGE Pacer with 401 v-8 ( unknown years available)

Other early desireable AMC / Nash / Hudson cars :

40's Nash woody wagon
'50's Nash  roll-top convertible
ANY AMC or Hudson convertible
'57 Rambler Rebel with V-8
Metropolitan

Other cars of interest for other friends...

Any Desoto of the '50's or '60's for a friend in Illinois/St. Louis area.

Well, that about covers my knowledge and desires at the moment. If any of you
old truckers buy a Pacer for just the suspension , PLEEASe let me know if you
want to sell the rest of the car afterwards, and where you are located at.
These cars are being sought after by collectors and parts hunters, so don't
just toss the remains aside once you've taken your hack at it! Don't expect
gold for it, either, but a nice body can bring some good money, and us poor
AMCers would appreciate the consideration. Anyway, please feel free to send
me any questions you may have on any AMC related question, and if I can
answer it, or send it to someone who can, I will do so gladly. Keep the old
ones running, whether Chevy/GM or AMC!

Jerry Casper
'78 Gremlin GT
'79 Pacer wagon D/L