RE: [oletrucks] Chevy Duty wiring harness conundrum

To: "'tim'" <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>, Ole Truckers
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Chevy Duty wiring harness conundrum
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 07:57:37 -0500
Sounds like you have a "one wire" alternator.  It only requires the
connection to the positive side of the battery (or ammeter).

If you hook the ammeter up backwards nothing terrible happens.  It just
indicates backwards.  If there are no + or - markings on the connections
just hook up both sides and wait until you get the rest of the electrics
installed.  Then honk the horn while watching the ammeter.  If it goes
towards the discharge side (-) all is well.  If it shows a charge reverse
the wires.