Re: [oletrucks] 12v or 6v 57

To: "valleyauto" <valleyauto@nh.adelphia.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 12v or 6v 57
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:58:55 -0700
>Hi, I just purchased a 57 chevy 3100 from ebay,the shipping company says the
>battery is dead,it has the original 6cyl and 3 on the tree,is it a 6v or 12v?
>also i plan towing it to its new home on a two wheel tow dolly......someone
>told me i'd burn out the transmission doing this!!! is this true?      thanks
>for your help

It's 12 volt, and it won't hurt the manual tranny in neutral as long as it
has lube in it.
The "do not tow with shaft attached" applies to automatics, since with the
engine not running
the pump isn't working, and could starve the rear bearing area of the tranny.
If the shaft is removed for towing, especially if the front is elevated, an
old yoke should be shoved
in the tailshaft and secured with a bungee cord or something, to keep from
losing the tranny fluid in route.
"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer      e-mail -->bfischer@utm.net