[oletrucks] 283 rebuild sadness

To: "'Old Trucks List'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 283 rebuild sadness
From: "Richard Kinas" <rkinas@ctinet.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 20:47:29 -0400
Ok all you motor heads......

I just got my 59 283 back from the machine shop :) I had to bore 60
thousandths over, the crank had spun a bearing and could not be reused, no
problem new steel crank kit. Any way, upon initial assembly, crank bearing
saddles were cleaned, bearings were wiped down, etc (i.e. all mating
surfaces were perfectly clean) installed bearings in block once in, lube
them up with new oil. Set the crank in place, all is fine. Installed the
bearings in the caps lubed them with oil and set them in place. Lets see
caps are facing front... in the proper order...OK ready to tighten.
Initially tightened to finger tight on all caps. Quick check of crank, spins
freely. Tightened all caps to 30 ft-lbs. Crank still spins freely. Tightened
all caps to 60 ft-lbs. Crank still spins freely. I'm feeling pretty good at
this point. I better spin the crank all the way around instead of just
rocking it just to be sure. Yikes, the crank spins freely 3/4 of a turn then
binds for 1/4 and spins freely again:( This sounds like an out of round
crank journal or saddle. Tomorrow I will plastigage the bearings dry on the
top and bottom to tri and find the culprit. Does any body have any other
ideas?

Thanks for any tips.

Rich Kinas
59 Fleetside