Re: [oletrucks]j was Fuel Injected V-6, now OD

To: kpierce@charter.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks]j was Fuel Injected V-6, now OD
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: 2 Dec 2001 19:44:06 -0800
    My setup isn't running yet, so this is what I will have at some point.

     I've collected excellent documentation on the various overdrive schematics
(mostly from sources on the list), but I will probably go with a custom setup
per what you're talking about. . .I really just want a fourth overdrive gear
and not all the kickdown switch in/switch out stuff that GM did years ago. .
.seems way too complicated to me.  I haven't totally decided on what setup to
use but am considering the same switch on the knob type arrangement except that
I'll probably do my own to make sure it looks retro but will probably switch it
with a mini rf transmitter so I don't have to try to run wires down the
shifter.  There are also arrangements where you hardwire the electrical circuit
and then switch the OD in/out with the T-handle mechanical activation part of
the controls.  Since my brother has one of the original T-handles, we might try
to make a copy of that.

     I do have the kickdown switch, bracket, relay etc, but my brother is going
to "borrow" them long term to do the original style setup for his 57 pickup
(the 1/2 ton unrestored farm truck that is on Wayne's archive), except that my
bracket is for a V8 and his truck is a 235.

     If you do get a switch, you should get the relay (or an equivalent one).
Let the relay drive the solenoid and use the switch to close the circuit on the
relay coil.  The relay contacts are more designed to take the current for a
long time than the switch contacts. . .especially necessary if you go with a
late model switch. . .not such a big deal if you size a switch to handle the
current.

Mark Noakes

58/56 Chevy Suburban

59 GMC Suburban