[oletrucks] Fw: Point of View: 'Tailgate'

To: "Z OLETRUCKS" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Fw: Point of View: 'Tailgate'
From: "Squatch56" <Squatch56@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 00:21:59 -0800
                 FROMTHE EDGE OF THE TAILGATE
                                     A Publication of 'Rob's Rod Shoppe'
                                             By Rob....The 'ToonMan '
                                                    #   4         12-6-01

My place of employment has decided to close up shop, and move our operation to
Seattle.  Part of the closure includes employee assistance for retraining, to
help us in our search for a new occupation.  I started my first classes this
week, and have already learned much more about myself than I thought was
possible. They started out with classes to tell us what kind of person we are,
and match that to available careers, suited for our personality.   Along with
the new look into my previously unknown side,  I also saw another thing I
found interesting.   You know the age old question, Is the glass half full, or
is it half empty??  Well I learned another like it, that although it applys to
many different areas, to me it directly fit into the 'Old Car Nut' section.
When you look at something, do you see it for what it is now, or for what it
could be??  According to the class, this has a lot to do with your
personality.  One recent example was a drawing job I did a few months ago.
The customer sent me a photo showing 4 diffrerent shots of his collection of
trucks.  Now these trucks were mostly projects,  they weren't all 'Show
Trucks'.  When I took a look at the photo, I saw many really cool trucks.  I
found myself saying "Ooh, look at that one!!"  or, "That one would be a sweet
ride".  Well when I showed the same photo to a friend, I got a totally
different reaction.  "What a bunch of junk!!"  was his response.   He couldn't
see the potential of the pictured trucks, only what they were now.  This
difference in opinion also translates to what the two of us drive.  He has to
drive a new $40,000 Truck, while I couldn't be happier than when I'm bombing
around in my little 78 Chevy Shortwide Pickup!!
The ability to see beyond what is there has helped me greatly in my Automotive
Artwork.   I don't need to see a photo of the finished ride to be able to draw
it.  Sometimes, an  'as is'  photo is all I need to be able to draw what the
vehicle will look like when it is done.  I have even done some just from an
'over-the-phone' description.
These classes have made me understand that this is one important thing I
really like about myself,  and although it has been a part of me for many
years, I am a much happier person now that I have realized it.

                 Rob
         The "ToonMan"
    Creator of the Cartoons
          "Squatch" and
         "Chuck & Arbee"

   SASQUATCH   ARTWORKS
   Custom Automotive Cartoons
 www.chevytrucks.org/squatch-art

                    Rob's Rod Shoppe is a division of SASQUATCH  ARTWORKS