[oletrucks] Almost ready to paint our ol' '50! Need some tips....

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Almost ready to paint our ol' '50! Need some tips....
From: Dave <dave@juniorbaseball.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 09:07:20 -0800
Hi Gang;

My son's GMC has been in the paint shop 5 months this week! They kept
putting it behind every lucrative insurance job because we were having ours
carefully straightened, blocked, sanded to #600. They keep moaning about
ever taking it in! Now it's ready to paint (and choosing the final color is
like choosing a bride from a lineup of strangers - you really want to make
the right choice for the long haul!).
  Questions:
 On the running boards, the paint on the raised ribs will obviously wear
through from stepping on them. Is there a kit with those rubber strips and
chrome ends on them I've seen on some hotrods? Can't seem to find them. Or
do most guys with these trucks (ours in mostly stock) use the metal step
plates from the truck catalogs?
 How long after the truck is assembled should we wait until color-sanding
it to remove any orange peel? It's a single-stage enamel paint.
 How well does that aftermarket dual-master cylinder/brake booster setup
work on these old drum brake trucks? We rebuilt the whole Huck brake system,
but it's still 1950 braking in 2002 traffic....we're not ready to tear it
all apart and put discs on it. But the safety of a dual master in place of
our (new) original style single master appeals to me.
 Is there a "GMC" valve cover that will bolt atop the Chevy 235 we now have
in the truck? It says Chevrolet on it and we want it to say GMC or nothing.

Direct replies to dave@juniorbaseball.com would be helpful!

Thanks,
Dave in West Hills, CA