RE: [oletrucks] What kind of alternator should I be looking

To: "'Scott Tyson'" <scott-tyson@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] What kind of alternator should I be looking
From: "William Gray" <william.gray@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 22:47:09 -0500
If output really isn't an issue, and you can tolerate the low idle
output, you might want to stick with your generator so you don't have to
mess with mount brackets and so it looks right.  You'll need a 12V
regulator from a 12V truck.  Also a 12V coil, 12V lights and a 12/6V
converter to run any 6V instruments you have.  And the radio.  I hear
Fords up to the 80s (maybe still?) ran 6V instruments and have a
converter under the dash somewhere.

And you don't need a 12V generator.  Why not?  This was 'splained to me
by an old Harley mechanic.  The raw generator output is a constant
voltage dependant on speed.  The regulator turns "on" and "off" many
times per second as frequently as required so the average output meets
its set output voltage, the rest of the output goes to ground.  For
example, if you're running 2000 rpm the gen. raw output is let's say
around 25V; a 12V regulator will be "on" about half the time; a 6V will
be "on" about 1/4 the time.  Because the 12V system is "on" twice the
time of the 6V, the 12 V system has about twice the watts available as
the 6V for the same gen, at the same speed.

The only vehicle I've ever converted is an old Harley.  Kept the same
generator, installed a 12V regulator off a newer Sportster, 12V coil and
bulbs.  Been working great for 10 years.  Still won't quite keep up to
the headlight at idle, so it dims a bit, but I just consider that to be
my volt meter; if I rev it up and the light brightens I know it's
charging OK.

Bill Gray
william.gray@snet.net