RE: [oletrucks] 336 V8 and Hydramatic

To: <Robert.Heil@hellausa.com>, <mark@noakes.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 336 V8 and Hydramatic
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:34:54 -0600
I agree with all that Bob says except that the pre-64 Pontiac V8's used
a very different water pump (early 4 bolt vs. later 8 bolt) and coolant
distribution system (early output from the water pump went via hoses to
inlets on the heads vs. later that pumped directly into the front of the
block).  If you are trying to keep it stock looking anyone with an eye
for Pontiac V8s would know the difference.

If you are not sticking to totally stock, the later V8 with TH350 or 400
would be a good idea.  Overhauling a dual-range Hydra-Matic would break
most Enron employee's 401K plan.  Rebuilt TH350s are cheap.  Given that
the Napco probably has 4.56 gears you may want to consider a
transmission with an overdrive high gear.

But then I'm perfectly happy with my 57 347" V8 with Hydra-Matic and
3.08 rear gear.