Re: [oletrucks] 1951 GMC 228 engine

To: "Bruce and Deb" <poordebru@skyenet.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1951 GMC 228 engine
From: "David Handley" <dph55@pdq.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 05:32:02 -0600
The GMC 228 engine has insert bearings and full pressure oiling. GMC had
full pressure since I believe 1937 or 38. GMC     manuals are a little hard
to  come by.  They are probably best left stock internally. The valves and
seats can be changed but I'm not so sure it is necessary for normal every
day use.
Most people prefer more horse and speed for daily driver. I like the old six
and taking it easy. I  have a big six (CHevy 292) by the previous owner but
have a couple 228 engines to rebuild to take it back to  original. Will not
go with original trans and rear end. Prefer the open drive and higher gear
ratio.

Dave Handley
51 GMC 5 window
Houston, TX