Re: [oletrucks] Vin Tag

To: Rick N Wagner <rnwagner@juno.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Vin Tag
From: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 11:52:19 -0500
Here is a great site about pre 55 gmc, here the link explaining the
sequencing of the VIN number.
http://www.oldGMCtrucks.com/page0010.html

Thanks to Bill Hanlon, here is the some references he send me long ago on
the sequence of numbers of a 56 GMC and the explanation.
Here is the number>>>>>>1018YP3911
10 10=1/2 ton, 15=3/4 ton, 25=1 ton,
1 1=short bed, 2=long bed
8 8=V8 engine (288ci in '55, 316 in '56
347 in '57, 336 in 58-9) If 6 cyl
there is no digit in this place in
the VIN.
Y Y=55 second series, X=56, T=57, S=58/9
P P=built in Pontiac Michigan plant, C=
built in the California plant
3911 serial number

--wayne

At 09:54 AM 4/6/02 -0600, Rick N Wagner wrote:
>Does anyone have access or possess a vin tag for a 53 GMC Suburban
>Carryall. I may even be able to use one for a pick up. The GMC stuff is
>pretty hard to find it seems. Please contact me off list at
>rnwagner@juno.com Thanks  p.s.--I would even be interested in how GMC vin
>numbers were sequenced. Perhaps that would be of some help also.
>Rick Wagner-Kansas City,Mo--53 GMC Suburban--49 Chevy Suburban--52 Chevy
>Pick-up--49 Chevy Pick-up

Wayne Osborne
1956 Chevy Pickup
LaGrange Ga.