Re: [oletrucks] gettin' rusty

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gettin' rusty
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:02:08 -0700
I did the best I could to clean them out with the sheet metal in place by
using very hot water and a pressure washer.  Then I sprayed (more like
drizzled) etch primer inside.  Then I drizzled an epoxy primer inside until
it ran out.  I had to rotate the cab around to get everything coated.  Then
the cab went off to the blaster, and the cab was finished (meaning body
work, priming and painting).  These inner areas were painted as best as I
could with a paint gun (poking the paint through the hinge pockets - watch
out for drips at this point).  Then the last step was to shoot body wax in
the crevasses (kick panels, inside bottom of doors, etc.).  I recently was
repairing some damage to a rocker panel in a 73 pickup I sprayed with this
method 8 years ago, and it looked as good as the day it was coated in body
wax.  No surface rust at all inside.  Good stuff but an utter mess to work
with - it's very sticky.  I used a Worth body wax, but 3M and other
companies make it as well (and requires a special applicator).  I pity the
person who does another restoration on my truck in the future.  I have no
idea how to remove the body wax in these areas, other than a chemical dip.

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100
http://students.washington.edu/jonesal/truck.html