RE: [oletrucks] FW: Leaf Springs

To: "haist" <haist2@attbi.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] FW: Leaf Springs
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:10:30 -0700
You read all sorts of things. Doesn't mean they're right. Maybe in ancient
times before shock absorbers (spring dampers) that was true. However, my 94
Ford Explorer has teflon pads between the leaves out at the ends. I've also
been told by someone wanting to sell me a set of springs that I had ruined
them by putting an open-gear lube between the leaves -- "Affects the
metallurgy," he said. My 50 Stude's  rear leafs were wrapped and had grease
fittings on the wrap. Rode much smoother after a lube job.

-Tom Allen
51 3800

At 06:47 PM 6/17/02 -0700, haist wrote:
>I recall a few years ago, an article in This Old Truck or Pickups & Panels
>(can't find it now) about leaf springs.  The author stated that leaf spring
>design relies on the metal to metal friction between the leafs for proper
>performance.  He did not favor lubrication or insulation between the leafs.
>Did anybody else see that?  Comments?
>
>Whitney Haist
>Orinda, CA
>Chevy trucks: 1928,1939,1946.