Re: [oletrucks] Brake lights not working.

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Brake lights not working.
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:20:01 -0500
If GMC's from then are like Chevys, turn signals and the second brake
light were dealer installed optional equipment on step sides.  To
get the original wiring diagram for these lights, you need the Accessory
Installation Manual.  Chevy Duty and others sell one for the 57 Chevy's
that should be close enough.  This wiring is not covered in the basic
shop manual or assembly manual.

Assuming you have a step side, there were two rear lights in the
optional setup.  Each had a dual filament bulb (No. 1157 for 12 volt),
like most newer cars and trucks.  The low power filament is the
tail light (on when the parking lights or headlights are on.)  The
high power filament is the turn/brake light, on when the turn signal
or brake lights are on.

The wiring for the brake/turn signal goes from the power source (keyed)
to the brake light switch, located on the outside of the angled part
of the floorboard next to the brake pedal shaft, to the turn signal
switch in the steering column, to each tailight independently.  The
turn signal switch decides whether or not the brake light gets its
power from the flasher or from the brake light switch.

It sounds like the PO just had the extra lights wired up in parallel
with the tailights.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

It's not difficult, but the wires to the back change color a couple
times where the accessory wiring is spliced in place of the original
wiring.