[oletrucks] driveshaft collar issue (and pic of exploded u-joint)

To: Ole Truckers <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] driveshaft collar issue (and pic of exploded u-joint)
From: tim <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 00:09:24 -0600 (MDT)
It seems that the self-destruction of my u-joint has caused some problems
in my driveshaft.  As documented at
http://mezcal.dhs.org:8080/driveshaft_problem.jpg -- the internal
copper-looking part of the driveshaft has been chewed up by the bits of
the u-joint.  Is this a significant problem, or can I just file off the
chewed-up bits and install a new u-joint?

And for those waiting for a picture of what my u-joint turned into, visit
http://mezcal.dhs.org:8080/used_to_be_u_joint.jpg -- it's impressive.  I
still can't figure out how it happened.  One minute everything was working
fine; the next, an entirely useless u-joint.  I'm sure it was a gradual
failure, but it just looks like somebody stuffed an M-80 up the center of
the rear yoke and lit it.

Thanks,

Tim Lloyd, lloyd@lasp.colorado.edu
"Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been
sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful,
rebellious, and immature." -- Tom Robbins
"The eyes of the world now look into space, to the moon and to the
planets beyond, and we have vowed that we shall not see it governed
by a hostile flag of conquest, but by a banner of freedom and peace."
-- John F. Kennedy