Re: [oletrucks] '58 Apache Running lights question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '58 Apache Running lights question
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:19:54 -0500
This is indeed the stock system for the front "parking lights" on
TF trucks.  They go off when the headlights are on.  This didn't
change until the late 60's, early 70's.

I still don't know what the function of the "parking lights" were
or why they are included in cars and trucks to this day.

The stock tailight assembly for the turn signal option took an 1157
dual filament bulb for the tail/turn signal/brake lights.  The brighter
fillament is the turn signal/brake light and the dimmer fillament
is the tail light.  Reproduction buckets, sockets, lenses, and lens
retainers are available from the usual vendors and originals are
still fairly common, used until about 1966 on stepside pickups.

The wiring diagram for all this is in the accessory installation
manual, and a copy of that diagram is posted on the web somewhere,
maybe someone else can help out and find it.  Maybe the technical
section of www.chevytrucks.org?

The rear brake light wire went up through the turn signal switch
in the steering column to be split to either side.

Stock was one tail light in the back with tail/brake light function.
This is what is shown on the basic wiring diagram.

At Wednesday, 25 September 2002, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Thanks for all the help I have gotten here so far. I got my truck
running
>for the first time in several years tonight.
>
>The question for today is:
>When you turn on the running lights, the orange lights in the front
go on
>(as well as the back tail lights), when you pull the knob to headlights,

>are the running lights in the front supposed to stay on, or go off.
Mine