Re: [oletrucks] Mallory Distributor & 283 Engine Upgrades

To: kpierce@charter.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Mallory Distributor & 283 Engine Upgrades
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:54:36 -0600
Kirk:

Thanks for the information, it will be very helpful when I get ready to make
my purchase.  Many of my friends tried to steer me towards a GM or
aftermarket HEI, but I just don't want to chop up my firewall to put it in.
Prices on HEI's seem to range from $140-170 so $200 for a Mallory doesn't
sound that bad.  I'll also look into the 'accessories' you mentioned when
I'm closer to making my purchase.

Bought my truck over 2 years ago and from what I can determine it has an
early to mid-60's 283 that is mostly stock.  Original exhaust manifolds, a
cast intake with a very old Holly 600 CFM 4 barrel carb (so old it's hard to
get parts for).  I'm not into performance, just cruising and took a major
step forward this year when I replaced the old 3 speed auto tranny with a
2004R 4 speed auto with lockup converter.  Made the truck alot more fun to
drive with good acceleration from stop signs and only 2000 RPM at 65 MPH!

I plan to replace the intake and carb this winter with an Edelbrock
Performer intake (good performance from idle to 5500 RPM, not that I'd ever
run it that hard), and an Edelbrock 600 CFM 4 barrel carb with electric
choke. Will also throw away the original accelerator pedal and linkage and
replace with a new Lokar pedal and cable.

I just posted some updated pictures of my truck on the chevytruck.org
website.  If you're interested, go to the Photos section on the site, select
1956, hit go and my truck is 2nd or 3rd down the list.

Again, thanks for the information and good luck with your project!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL