Re: [oletrucks] Mustank II Failure

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Mustank II Failure
From: "George Beddome" <mr57@sasktel.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 01:06:28 -0600
I think if you read the thread from front to back you would realize those
are rodders that are concerned about the recurring failure of a part that
might/might not have an inherent design flaw in it, something regarding a
support gusset and how the lower control arm is supported through the
crossmember.  If you read the thread, the "fish" reference was made  by the
manufacturer in question, and he has since rectified the problem by
replacing the crossmember and supplying the labor free of charge.  I don't
see how there can be anything political/religious really construed from this
other than a reference.  How YOU interpret it is up to you, but all it looks
like to me is some concerned rodders looking out for each other and trying
to get some satisfaction from what looks like a defective part.  The thread
would not have even started if the manufacturer had not given him the
brushoff in the first place.

The jist of the post is this, and this only -- If you run a brand name MII
crossmember, and use the lower contol arms that eliminate the strut rods,
make sure it's supported properly with gussetts and the tubular supports.
What happened to the crossmember in question was a result of the design not
taking this into account and/or a stress failure in the crossmember, nothing
else.  It appears to be an isolated incident, but certainly worth inspecting
your own rides on a regular basis, especially if you use those lower control
arms.