Re: [oletrucks] '59 won't start

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '59 won't start
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:18:53 -0600
Sounds like a charging system problem somewhere.  Put it on a charger
overnight and see if the problem goes away for a while.

Your voltage sounds a little low for when the truck is running.
It should be up to around 13.8 to 14 volts when the truck is running.

One other thought, have you added a super stereo or a bunch of lights
or something?  These old truck generators only put out around 20
amps max.  This can be fixed by converting to an alternator.

Start with the easy things, check both ends of the battery cables,
the wires going to the voltage regulator, the terminals on the generator,
and so on.  If it becomes more serious than this, you may want to
give up and get an alternator.  There is a reason modern cars and
trucks don't have generators and mechanical voltage regulators anymore.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN