Re: [oletrucks] IFS advice needed

To: jgarton@sbcglobal.net, rddavis@sterlink.net, the_hams@hotmail.com,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] IFS advice needed
From: jrdorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:22:54 -0500
Carl,
It depends on what your goals are. If your main intent is to lower it
and just cruise, those Pinto-Mustang based IFS kits would be OK.

I gather from an earlier post though that your main concern is with
handling and drivablility. I would suggest using the IFS from a '74 to
late '80s Chevy/GMC pickup. It's seems easier than one of the kits, it's
almost just bolt in, and it's stouter for highway driving.

You already have done the power steering conversion so that's one step
out of the way with the Chevy IFS.
For an article about this go to:  http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/50ifsswap.htm

Now, about your wandering problem, this could be tires or not enough
caster. It may be set to factory specs, but the factory specs were for
low speed trucks with manual steering. Before I went to the level of
work needed for IFS I would try putting an extra caster shim under each
spring and see if it helps.

--
John Dorsey
Wauchula FL