[oletrucks] Any more advice on IFS or Rear End swaps for TF trucks out

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Any more advice on IFS or Rear End swaps for TF trucks out
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 14:36:19 -0600
About a month ago I posted a message asking for advice or past good/bad
experiences with independant front suspension swaps and newer rear end swaps
for a TF (55-59) Chevy truck.  For the record, my truck is a fair weather
driver (summertime) and I don't plan on trying to win awards or drag race
the truck.  It has a 283 V8 and 4 speed auto with original front and rear
suspensions.  I simply want to finish upgrading the drive train to
newer/better riding and handling and more reliable components

I only received one reply for the IFS and 2 for the rear end swaps.  For the
IFS, Heidts or Total Cost Involved (TCI) mustang II's with tubular upper and
lower arms were suggested and I've found the TCI unit is about $800 cheaper
than Heidts.  I would appreciate any further comments or advice as I will be
buying an IFS in the March timeframe.

For the rear end, it has been suggested I either use an S10 or Ford 9 inch.
I'm told the S10 may be a direct swap (width-wise), and the Ford 9 inch
would require some custom work.  Any suggestions from other list members?
Appreciate any and all comments.  Thanks,

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL