Re: [[oletrucks] Rear end on 59 chevy apache ]

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [[oletrucks] Rear end on 59 chevy apache ]
From: Scot Stockton <auriclux@usa.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:33:47 -0800
Ryan Sain <rsain@gte.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My wife and I are reworking the above truck and were wondering what to do
> with the rear end/axle. It has the stock 10 bolt on there now. We are
> planning on building a 350 to 350-400hp with approx 350 lb/torque tied to a
> 700r4. What should we do?
>
> This is the first round of research, so all ideas are welcome.

My first thought was just use a Target smallblock with a TH350 and keep the
stock rear.

BUT - in my '59 stepside I have a 454 Rat, NVG4500, and a Dana 60 (plus some
stuff to power the front wheels.)

I also have a 74 Caprice vert.  This 2-ton car also has a Rat that develops
500 ft-lbs torque if I believe the advertising, but is bolted to a 700R4.
Luckily the car came with a 12-bolt rear so I didn't change that.

I feel pretty secure in those decisions as they've held up for a couple
years.

I'm not sure I helped you too much, but at least I provided some data points.