Re: [oletrucks] engine/tranny removal question?? (41)

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] engine/tranny removal question?? (41)
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 07:45:16 -0700
> Hi guys! Can any of you tell me can the tranny and eng. be removed as a unit ?
> Also how do you remove the shifter from the top of the 4 speed tranny? do you
> remove the pin or take the top plate off?  Looks like I can remove the combo
> as one unit if the shifter is removed?
>  Never seen a cross member rivited in that I can recall! I have the floor pan
> out and the Radiator and hood and fenders well you get the pic.
> Also the rear shaft on the tranny,do you unbolt the the short shaft section
> from the rear of the tranny or try to remove by just removing the u joint at
> the swing berring?   Thanks for any help!!
>
> Pat    67 Nova SS
>          41 Art  Deco chevy truck

Pat--

You'll want to remove the engine separately!  Unbolt the tranny from the
bellhousing (may be two bolts that go in from inside the bellhousing).
Pull the engine and bellhousing as an assembly, leaving the tranny in
the truck.

After the engine is out, then you can pull out the tranny...but you may
need to drop the rearend, or at least disconnect it from the tranny
first.  I'm not sure about this.  If you can get the ujoint unbolted,
then you should be able to get the tranny loose, although it may not go
back far enough for the input shaft to clear the crossmember and allow
the tranny to drop out.

The shift lever comes out of the newer trannys by removing the lock
ring, push down and turn it counterclockwise about 1/2", and it should
come out.  Been awhile since I've seen one of the early trannys, but I
think they work the same way.

Hopefully someone with more closed driveline experience will speak up
:)

Jim
59s in AZ